Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Musings from Week 3

Week 3 Ramblings
This is Tuesday of Week 3 on my experiment of being a stay-at-home-mom (sahm) and wow, this is harder than I thought it would be. For those of you working full time I know you are thinking, "You are crazy. I would give my right arm to stay at home and spend time with my kid(s). There is no way that would be harder than what I'm doing right now." You would be right... this isn't harder than working full time and being a good wife and being a good mother... but it is still harder than I expected it would be. The kicker is the boredom. Yep - you heard me - it is boring to be home all day. I'm sure my whining would be reduced to zero if we had won the mega millions lotto but it wasn't meant to be so we chose to be reduced to one income, a large mortgage, and a new receipt jar to track my miscellaneous expenses. My husband claims to only have one receipt in the jar which is jam packed already and it's only Week 3!!

The Receipt Jar
It's a brilliant idea from my super smart husband (J-man) but it's also the bane of my existence. I know that I buy a lot of stuff but I swear it's all stuff that I need. (You can stop laughing now.) I am dreading the month end reconciliation and I think that J-man is eagerly anticipating it!

I'm Almost Four
So the small child with whom I spend my days (also known as Pookie) is almost four. She told me the other day that she wants two birthday parties this year. One with her Grandma that is Dora and another party with her friends that is Rapunzel. I guess it's a good thing I loaded up on the Rapunzel party stuff way back in December prior to the receipt jar. (insert maniacal laughter here)

Obsessive Cleaning
When I worked full time I was always complaining about the house being dirty. I even tried having a cleaning person come every two weeks. It was nice but I just couldn't stand to pay the money each time and still not have my blinds cleaned or the baseboards dusted. This old 1941 house has amazing woodwork but at some point in time the trim was all painted white and now shows every speck of dust. Now I'm home all day and Pookie loves cleaning house with me... but I just don't have the motivation. The first few days were great. Every day I vacuumed, mopped, and dusted. Organized the pantry and every closet in the house. Sadly now that those things are done I'm over the whole cleaning thing. I realize now that if I took a full day off work each quarter to deep clean my house I would have been much happier. Note to self for when I do eventually go back to working full time.

Computer Withdrawal
"My name is Katie and I am addicted to my computer." After 13+ years of being on the computer every day for hours on end it has been really hard to go cold turkey. I try to log on once a day but I have guilty mom feelings if I stay on too long... or, gasp, let Pookie watch a movie while I'm on the computer! The crazy thing is that my coworkers and I used to complain about the insane amount of email we would get at work but once it's gone it is sad how much I miss it. I'm hoping to overcome this and be more in the moment. Now I find that I'm jealous when J-man comes home to talk about and I know nothing about it. Trying to stay off the computer and keep the television off makes for a very uninformed day.

Home School
Sending Pookie to daycare five days a week from age 12 months through 44 months (1 year - 3.75 years) allowed me to be just a wee bit self righteous about the 'education' she was receiving. In the back of my mind, and sometimes out loud, I would think that by now she would be (reading, doing math, jumping rope, roller skating, playing the violin) if only I had been a SAHM. Well working moms, I'm here to tell you that it's just not true! I'm sure that more one-on-one time would (and will!) improve the skills that Pookie has but I really should have let go of the guilt. So to any of you that currently stay home with your kids I'm interested in finding out if you have a schedule. At daycare they have play time but then circle time or specific activity time. I keep thinking I need to do this at home so that we have some predictability to the day... is that for me or for the preschooler? (I'm thinking it's for both of us!)

Weeks 1, 2, and 3 in Review
Sadly week 1 was a blur. Cleaning, actually going to the grocery store, reading books on my iPhone and letting Pookie stay in her pajamas all day to watch television... oh those lazy days of week 1. Week 2 was better as I started reaching out to my SAHM network of friends to pick their brains. I even had a visit from a friend with her new baby girl! Week 3 is all about getting into gear with a daily routine (but I'm going to be flexible... I swear!) and also getting out of the house each day. One big revelation these 3 weeks has been that if given a choice Pookie and I will literally stay inside our house all day long. The J-man, who loves the outdoors, thinks this is insane and has now taken to asking what we did outside today when he gets home each night. Darn him!

Looking Forward to Week 4
If I write it then I'm accountable for it, right? Week 4 is going to be about a daily routine, setting up some time with friends, and going outside. Tune in for an update next week!




2 comments:

  1. Great job on your blog! It's an interesting perspective for a blog. Most people go the other way; from SAHM to working so this and all of your honest revelations is so interesting to me.

    I live in both worlds. I work most of the year but have breaks sprinkled in and then there's summer where I go back to being a SAHM. I see the benefits of both.

    It is difficult to stay at home! I think the trick for me is to have a schedule. Get up, get dressed like I'm going to work and my day starts a lot better. I would write out 'lesson plans' of my day to help me get through. That way you can relax and enjoy each moment rather than being taken over by the anxiety of "what to do to fill my day".

    Regarding the education thing, I find with my students and now with Jameson, that the educating really is better when it's done by someone else than mom. I think that's normal. :)

    Keep up the writing! I'll be reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed retired SAHG (Grandma)January 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

    Dear SAHM (stay at home mom)
    Since SAHM mom's have been around since the beginning to TIME, I think you'll adjust fine once you get over the guilt of staying in your pajamas all day if you want. None of this will last, Shelby will be getting on the school bus in 24 months ~ and you will be back with a dirty house on the computer all day at a desk.

    ReplyDelete