Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How Time Flies

Time Keeps on MovingIt's amazing to me how time just flies by. It's now been 8 months since I stopped working at the 'Zon but it feels like yesterday.  I definitely miss working - all those pleasant adult conversations - (and the moolah of course) but staying home has been such a blessing.

I am very very very excited that preschool is about to start.  Less than 4 weeks until Pookie has her first day.  Thankfully there is a 'meet the teacher' day in two weeks so that should help ease the transition.  There is another little girl that Pookie really likes that will be in her class so a playdate is in order sometime in the next three weeks to cement that friendship again. 

Summer, did you pass me by?
I swear that summer has passed me by.  I had big plans of sitting outside with my feet dangling in the kiddie pool on the back deck chatting with my sister (a teacher with summer off) while Pookie splashed around... but it's been too cold. So sad!  I'm suprised that the news reports haven't dubbed 2011 'the year that skipped summer' -- you know how they always name the storms like 'winter blast 2010' and such.  How do you name summer when it didn't happen?  I had to put on fleece and warm sweats to sit outside after dinner tonight!

Well - we are giving the wading pool a try tomorrow with a friend visiting from San Diego with her son.  My fingers are crossed that it is at least warm out but I'm predicting that she will bring a sweater or jacket for sure (as will I!).  Not sure if her little guy can stand the cold water on a 'not warm' day since he is from sunny, delightful, warm, inviting San Diego.  Oh how I miss you SeaWorld! 

Smurfs
Did you love the smurfs?  I did... but not nearly as much as my younger sister.  She was even Smurfette for halloween one year in elementary school (or was that in college?).  Of course McDonalds just has to get smurf toys - argh.  So I've been there twice this month and each time I asked about Smurfette but was told that she was sold out immediately.  Well et me tell you that those folks don't know what they are talking about!!  Today I broke down and split some chicken selects with Pookie for lunch and thank goodness I asked the front cashier if she had a smurfette.... she did!!  It cost me $2.30 but I have one very happy four year old who is so excited to show her Aunt that she now has a smurfette too. 

Remodeling some more
The guys pulled apart one of the remaining two unremodeling bedrooms downstairs.  It's already warmer and less smelly now that the old wood has been removed from the foundation walls and the new foam boards are up.  I fully understand that my husband is a 'one room at a time' kind of guy but spending the majority of my waking hours (and all of my sleeping ones) here at this abode make me hungry for some major remodeling.  Of course the budget doesn't like my ideas so I'm slowly making my way toward a new kitchen that we can actually afford while slipping my slave labor Dad into the basement to get some of the work done on that project.  Thanks Dad!!

Missing Grandma CC
Well Grandma CC took off for her job with FEMA out to North Dakota.  What happened in ND you ask?  Flooding of course.  She loves it there and is excited that everyone is so friendly.  She's only been gone a week but I'm still mad because August is the best chance we have for some good weather and it's before preschool starts... I was planning on some fun P-town days with Grandma but now it's not going to happen.  (Grandma TT works a full time job so she can't play with us during the week)  Get home soon Grandma CC - we miss you!

Kittens, Kittens, everywhere!!
I broke down and let Pookie get a kitten.  Sadly our old cat, Luna, passed away in June.  I waited as long as I could but the Humane Society hosted Catapalooza last weekend I got sucked in.  I truly wanted to get an adult kitty as they are harder to place and come 'ready' to be mellow.  But those big brown eyes and talk of 'kit-lings' (her made up word that she prefers to the word kitten - go figure) broke me down.  To those mean people who didn't give a damn that my little four year old had her heart set on either the white or gray kitten that evil Saturday morning - shame on you.  I know you heard her tiny voice that was so sad as you were only 24 inches from us as we crouched in front of the cage and you STOLE them away.  I just don't think I could have taken a kitten away from a small child - there were 6 to choose from in that cage alone but nooooo you just had to take the two she wanted!!  AHHHH.  After a rough night of feeling very sad (we were robbed!) she decided that she would still love a kitten even if she had to get a black one. 

Which leads me to our new 8 week old kitten Boo Boo.  He is a nice little guy and I hope he grows up to be a mellow cat... otherwise Grandma and Grandpa will be getting themselves a new companion.  Come visit us and meet Boo Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment